The Wall Street Journal has named him as one of the most influential non-royal in the United Arab Emirates. In a recent survey published by Arabian Business Magazine, Yusuffali has topped the list of GCC’s 100 Most Powerful Indians. This survey has also placed him second in the ‘List of GCC based Richest Indians’. Forbes magazine has listed him on its Billionaires list. It has also acknowledged him as the Most Influential Asian Business Leader in the Middle East & North Africa (MENA) region. The prestigious Fortune Magazine has named him as the most influential Indian in West Asia. He has acquired a significant stake in the London-based East India Company (EIC), the biggest multinational trading company operated in the world at one time. Currently, he holds 10% stake in the parent East India Company and 40% in East India Fine Foods, its flagship company. He also purchased the historic Scotland Yard building which had been converted to a 92,000 Sq.ft. hotel called The Great Scotland Yard Hotel. Expanding the portfolio of luxury hospitality assets across Europe, Arabian Gulf and India, he has also acquired the iconic Scottish hotel, the 241-room property ‘The Caledonian’ in Edinburgh.
AROUND THE WORLD TODAY
The Wall Street Journal has named him as one of the most influential non-royal in the United Arab Emirates. In a recent survey published by Arabian Business Magazine, Yusuffali has topped the list of GCC’s 100 Most Powerful Indians.
The Group has an export company by the name of ‘Y International (UK) Ltd.’ which has won the prestigious Queen’s Enterprise Award 2017 for its exceptional contribution to UK’s trade, industry and economy. Established in the year 2013, ‘Y International (UK) Ltd.’, source, process and exports UK food products to various Hypermarkets in the Middle East and Far East countries including India and Egypt. He dedicates his life for the upliftment and rehabilitation of weaker sections of the society and has played a leading role in exposing public interests in appropriate forums. His efforts for the recognition and implementation of human rights and social equality enabled him to conquer the hearts of millions throughout the globe. His activities today transcend geographical boundaries to reach India, Main land China, Thailand, Indonesia, South Africa, Kenya, Uganda, Turkey, Brazil, Vietnam,
With HM King Salman, King of Saudi Arabia during a luncheon hosted by the King in honour of Visiting Indian PM Narendra Modi
Malaysia, United Kingdom, USA, Spain and other Middle East countries such as U.A.E, Oman, Qatar, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Bahrain a blessing to the unemployed youths as he provides job opportunities to more than 57,000 people out of which more than 29,800 are Indians and 24,700 are Keralites. Under his dynamic leadership the LuLu Group has achieved significant growth and diversified into various business lines such as: •Retail – Shopping Malls & LuLu Hypermarkets. •Import & Distribution of Electronics, Fresh & Frozen Foodstuffs & •Food Processing & Export, IT Education & Training and Travels & Tours.
Receiving PravasiBharatiyaSamman from the then President of India Late APJ Abdul Kalam in 2005
The Group with 184 retail outlets has a very vast organizational structure of over 57,000 employees, comprising of 37 different nationalities, out of which more than 29,800 are Indians and 24,700 Keralites. Retail Business is the mainstay of the Group with operations in major Middle East and African countries like UAE, OMAN, QATAR, KUWAIT, SAUDI ARABIA, BAHRAIN, EGYPT and INDIA having Retail Sourcing and manufacturing bases located in Far East, Europe, US, India, Africa and Guangzhou in China. Indian operations mainly include Food Processing, Export of Food & Non-food products, Flight Kitchens, Hotels and Convention center with bases in Delhi, Lucknow, Mumbai, Chennai, Kochi and Trichur. The Group has marked its
presence in the Indian retail industry with the opening of LuLu Mall in Kochi, which is one of the largest shopping malls in Asia. Lulu Group owns Marriott, Courtyard Marriott and Grand Hyatt Hotels managed by the prestigious Marriott and Hyatt Groups Deloitte has ranked the Group as the No.1 retailer in the Middle East and one among the top 50 fastest growing retailers globall Planet Retail U.K. has also ranked the Group as the No.1 Hypermarket chain in the region.
LuLu has been ranked 3rd in the “Forbes Top 100 Companies” making an impact in the Arab World. LuLu is the only Indian company to be featured in the top 10. In recognition of his remarkable achievements in Business & Industry and his distinguished services in the field of Social Work, he was conferred the prestigious Padma Shri award by H.E. Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil, Hon’ble President of India on 05th May, 2008. He was the first Non-resident Indian from the Gulf and the Middle East countries to be honored
Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award” the highest Indian Government Award given to Non-Resident Indians by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, the Hon’ble President of India at Mumbai in January, 2005
With HM Queen Elizabeth II after being honoured with Queens Award in London
with this coveted award by the Government of India. Yusuffali takes special interest in importing and marketing a huge variety of Indian
products through his numerous Shopping Malls in the GCC. Indian Mango Festival, in association with APEDA (Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority) is conducted every year in all LuLu Hypermarkets in the Gulf to promote Indian mangoes and thereby to support the Indian farmers. Taking into consideration his outstanding achievement in the field of business and in recognition of his valuable contribution in promoting the honour and prestige of India and in fostering the interests of overseas Indians, he has been conferred with the prestigious “Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award” the highest Indian Government Award given to Non-Resident Indians by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, the Hon’ble President of India at Mumbai in January, 2005.
The crowning glory in his career came when he was overwhelmingly elected by the U.A.E. business community as the Director Board member of the Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce & Industry (ADCCI). This was the first time that elections were held for the ADCCI and expatriate was elected to the Director Board of this Chamber which is helping to streamline and regulate business and industrial affairs in Abu Dhabi, which is one of world’s most developed and wealthiest cities. In addition to this, he was also unanimously elected by the Board members as the Vice-chairman of the prestigious Trade Committee of the ADCCI. After four years, in the year 2009, the U.A.E business community re-elected him to the Director Board of ADCCI with a thumping majority. In the year 2014 he was again re-elected for a third time and he is the only non-Arab to be elected to the Director Board of ADCCI consecutively for a record third time.
Receiving Padma Sri from the then President of India SmtPratibhaPatil in 2008
Receiving Wessam Al Bahrain – Order of King – Medal of Bahrain from HM Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, King of Bahrain
With HM Shaikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander id UAE Armed Forces
- Yusuffali is very closely involved in many social, charitable and humanitarian activities in India as well as in Gulf countries and plays a vital role in fostering the interests of Non-resident Indians and keeping intact the communal harmony among the NRIs in the Gulf.
- His earnest and dedicated efforts have helped in securing cremation grounds for Hindu brethren in Abu Dhabi.
- Through his close association with the authorities in the Gulf he has been able to arrange free land for the Christian community to construct churches.
- Indian Islamic Centre Abu Dhabi (IIC), the one and only recognized organization for Indian Muslims in the capital of U.A.E., is a place of socio-cultural activities for all Indian expatriates in Abu Dhabi. In the year 1979, H.H. Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al Nahyan, the late Hon’ble President of U.A.E. donated a piece of land for the Indian Islamic Centre in Abu Dhabi. Though the foundation stone for the building was laid by Smt. Indira Gandhi, the late Hon’ble Prime Minister of India in the year 1981, it was due to the efforts taken by Yusuffali with the UAE Government officials which resulted in the construction of a state-of-the-art building to suit the modern requirements after almost 30 years. The new building was inaugurated by the Hon’ble President of India Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil in the year 2010.
- Yusuffali has always strived to bring in foreign investments and expertise to India especially to Kerala for various infrastructural development projects, prime among them being the first International Airport with private participation, in Kochi of which he is a Director.
- Yusuff Ali was greatly instrumental in reviving the Smart City Kochi project which was earlier stopped due to a deadlock. His initiatives to bring both the Governments of Kerala and Dubai for a fruitful discussion were highly appreciated by one and all.
- The philanthropist in him has always come to the forefront in organizing huge and timely relief measures from the Gulf during many natural calamities in India viz. Lathur Earthquake, Gujarat Earthquake, Tsunami Tragedy, Uttarakhand Floods & Landslides, Jammu & Kashmir Floods and Kerala Floods. He was the first to contribute for the rehabilitation of the Calicut market fire victims when thousands lost their livelihood and he also extended his financial aid, which was a great relief and support to the families of the deceased and injured in the Paravur Temple tragedy. Also, in U.A.E. he was in the forefront by providing free air tickets including other facilities to hundreds of hapless Indians who could not even afford a ticket back to their motherland.
With HH Shaikh Mohamed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice President, Prime Minister of UAE & Ruler of Dubai
With HH ShaikhKhalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan, President of UAE